<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.halalhomecooking.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service

16/03/2013

Take 2&3 - Vanilla Custard Slices (slow progress)


As-Salam Alaykum  / Greetings Readers,













Since Take 1, I have made the Vanilla Slices again and again, each time something didn't go quite right or I'm just aiming too high above home baking standards.





During Take 2 - I changed the crème patissiere / pastry cream as I wanted more of it so I simply doubled the recipe quantities i used in take 1 thinking I would get the same consistency but I was wrong, it became too rich through too many egg yolks and too thick due to too much plain and corn flour.





The photos above are from Take 3 - I chose to follow a different recipe altogether for the crème patissiere and I didn't any many adjustments! and I'm happy to say it was just right.





Making the puff pastry dough from a packet mix as worked well in both Take 2 and .





Notes to self before Take 4:-



  • Decide the dimensions of my final sheet(s) before baking which depends on how many and how big slices i want to achieve.


  • Don't over or undercook the pastry.


  • Don't flatten the baked pastry sheets straight away after baking, wait until they have cooled.


  • Work on the consistency of icing, not too runny or it will drip, drip, drip!


  • Find my missing or buy another small pastry bag with small circular tip for piping chocolate onto icing.


  • Stock up on Chocolate and/or Nutella use this pastry project as an excuse to your husband and children why you need to eat more chocolate and your not sharing. LOL


Recipes on how to make Vanilla Puff Pastry From McDougalls Puff Pastry Mix and Vanilla Pastry Cream to follow shortly.....


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 23 March 2013 at 07:16 , Anonymous Sugarpea12 said...

Masha Allah wow and wow you are really professional, dh really likes custard slices but I'm too much of a coward in the kitchen to even try !! I'm really enjoying your posts and honest style, can't wait to check out your next treat for us.

 
At 23 March 2013 at 10:36 , Anonymous Asmaa said...

:) thank you sis it means alot. I was scared to try to make these for soooo long BUT im loving all my failed attempts because it means i get the excuse to do it again and stuff my face with vanilla custard and icing not forgetting chocolate lol

 

Post a Comment

Got a question? want to share your thoughts? leave a comment here.
*Please note, your comment will be visible after it has been approved *

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home